Cranberry was the first suburb of Powell River (now known as Townsite) as it was within easy walking distance of the mill.
The district was named for the lush cranberries that surrounded the lake that was central to the area. First Nations Peoples enjoyed this seasonal harvest long before non-aboriginal people settled there.
In the past Cranberry Lake was a favourite spot for swimming and fishing in the summer, and skating and hockey in the winter.
The Pest Hospital used for contagious diseases was built in Cranberry, and the Cemetery moved there in 1929. W.W.II Veterans homes were also erected in that area. Cranberry was a thriving, self-sufficient community for many years. In 1955, after much discussion, it amalgamated with Westview, Wildwood and Powell River to form the Municipality of Powell River.