A number of families lived in the beautiful valley with many selling their lush vegetables in Powell River. They would make their way down beside the Olsen River to Olsen’s Landing on Powell Lake and take the goods down by boat. A school was built, shingle bolting was a thriving industry and the small community was clustered there.
In 1955 the Powell River Company diverted the Theodosia River through Olsen Lake and Olsen Valley and the residents left. MacMillian Bloedel, concerned for safety, moved the squatters out and destroyed the buildings in 1972. Little is left of the once thriving community.
last updated: 2010-Aug-21