First Nations People used the rocky shores of Westview to fashion fish weirs. They also made use of the abundant clam and oyster sites found there. Michigan Landing, now known as Willingdon Beach, was the home of the Michigan-Puget Sound Logging Company until 1918 and squatters lived in this convenient spot. In 1926, the Powell River Company pulled the lease and the beach became a community playground in 1928 named after Lord Willingdon.
Not formally developed until the government released pre-emptions in 1914, Westview was incorporated as a village in 1942. In 1955, it amalgamated with Townsite, Cranberry and Wildwood to form the Municipality of Powell River.