Move your mouse over the place names and a popup will appear with some description of the place. If there is a link to further information, clicking will take you there.
Got additional information, comments or changes, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Actually the road is Padgett Road named after the Herbert Padgett family who settled Paradise Valley in 1919.
Attributed to the McCormacks who had a daughter Myrtle and were there before 1880. Also claimed to have been named after the daughter of a surveyor.
Pass the golf course going towards Saltery Bay. Opposite the turn off to go down to B&B by the Sea. Named for the Barnes family who had a great hamburger stand there.
Also known as Wolfson Creek. There is some confusion over this. Years ago, Douglas Bay and Brew Bay were used interchangeably. Mrs. Kelly had an early homestead here and the bay was named after her brother Douglas, Brew was her maiden name.
Also Lang Bay Fish Hatchery. Wolfson Creek is also known as Brew Bay, Mahoods Beach and Lang Bay. Named originally after a German settler. During WW1 this name was unpopular and so the name was changed to Lang Bay after the three Lang boys who lived in the area.
Could have been named after Palm Beach, California.
This area was named by Pat O'Brien in 1909 and named after Stillwater, Minnesota which was the original home of the logging company Brooks Scanlon and O'Brien. Stillwater Bay is also known as Scow Bay.
Eagle River Bridge
The official name of the river is Lois River. Known locally as Eagle River because of the eagles that came after the spawning salmon. Also named after the registered name of the lggging company : Eagle River and Northern Railway
Lois Lake and Lois River
Weldwood Main turn off. Named by Lois Weaver who was the general manager of the Brooks, Scanlon and OBrien Logging Co. at Stillwater. Lois River is also known as Eagle River. Lois Lake was also know as the First Gordon Pasha Lake. The upper Lois Lake was also known as Second Lake.
Named after the owner.
Saltery Bay Provincial Park
Perhaps because of the proximity to the Bay of the same name.
In the early years there was a fish saltery camp in that bay. The first ferry that connected Powell River to the peninsula started in 1954.