Move your mouse over the place names and a popup will appear with some description of the place. If there is a link to further information, clicking will take you there.
Got additional information, comments or changes, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Tla'amin First Nations have been here on this land since time immemorial. The proper spelling is Lha7amin.
last updated: 2010-Sept-20
After Ken Gibson a Wildwood Alderman in the 1950's and 1960's. The beach used to be called Sandy Beach. The Sliammon name is Kwikwiykwiy.
After the community. Wildwood's real development started in 1914 when the Fed Gov divided the area into homesteads of from 40-60 acres.
Started by the Powell River Company in 1930 the majority of breakwater ships were purchased in the late 1940's..
Name of the road between Willingdon Beach and Brooks School. Probably came into being in the 1950's wen the road was straightened eliminating a curve and a small bridge OR could be when the top of a hill was taken off just before Brooks in the 1970's. This has caused many discussions.
This is down on the beach from where the steam donkey is on the Beach Trail. There used to be change houses and a Tea House. This beach was used extensively until Willingdon Beach was dedicated.
From 'West Coast Words' by Tom Parkin. "How it came to be isn't known, but for at least 40 years kids in Powell River have used this word to describe a Tarzan swing: a tree rope which hangs over a summer swimming hold. A great word: pity it hasn't spread more widely".
Willingdon Beach Trail
Follows along the old railway tracks for the Michigan Puget Sound Logging Company from Michigan Landing into the Townsite.
This was formerly known as Michigan Landing and it was a booming area for the Michigan Puget Sound Logging Co. The Powell River Company leased part of this to individuals for homes. Unofficially known as Third Beach, in 1926 the Company wanted the land and the families were moved. In 1928, Lord Willingdon, the Gov-General of Canada opened the park named after him.
Willingdon Arena (Rink) Site
The Willingdon Arena was built by community volunteerrism in 1955. A huge project. Pulled down in 1999.
South and North boat harbours
The South Harbour was the original Gov Wharf built in 1946 - for transient traffic. The North Harbour was built in 1960 and is for local permanent moorage.
This is a fairly new blip in the Road from the mid 1960’s. There used to be a Dairy across the street that sold great ice-cream and people would pull over to eat on the water side. This area is usually known as the View Point.... but not to be confused with the viewpoint on the road going out to Saltery Bay. Some people call it the Westview View Point.
Named after Charlie Churchman who lived right on the corner on the right on your way out to Grief Point. He had a greenhouse on the property across the road.
A fairly new name for the flat area by the light house in Grief Point. This area was a farm from the 1880’s. Sold in the middle 1960’s for a sub-division. Could be a derisive term because of the barrenness of the landscape before the houses went up.
Named by Tom Lambert and Mrs McQuarrie in the 1930’s. A sarcastic remark made at the the ‘beauty' of the remains of the fire that had swept through in 1918.
Munsonville(where the Oceanside RV Park is)
Probably named after George Munson in 1953. He brought in, by barge, six North Vancouver houses, for the employees of his logging company..