Leonard Frank Photo Studio fonds. - - 1927-1937. - - 42 photographs.
Frank ( 1870 -1944 ) left his hometown in 1892 of Berne, Germany for San Francisco and moved to Victoria two years later. He moved to Alberni with his younger brother Bernard who joined him in 1898. Both men took out their Canadian naturalization papers, Leonard in 1897 and Bernard in 1899. They worked some mineral claims together on Vancouver Island and it probably around 1898 that Leonard also started his photographic career. His father had operated a studio in Berne. Likely as a result of anti-German sentiment during World War One, the Frank brothers relocated to Vancouver between 1916 and 1917. Leonard established a brief partnership with Orville J. Rognon between 1918 and 1919 as the Commercial Photo Company. Frank continued to operate under that name until about 1926-1927 when he started using his own name for the business. Leonard Frank Photos established an enviable reputation as industrial and commercial photographers and Leonard Frank continued photographing almost until he died. Leonard and Bernard Frank, who never married, are buried in the Jewish Schara Tzedeck Cemetery near Vancouver. The above information is from David Mattison’s: Camera Workers of BC.
Archives notes: It is unclear if the Powell River Company, founders of the first pulp and paper mill on the west coast of Canada, hired Frank to take photographs of the Mill and surrounds. Most images are taken in the late 1920’s with some in the 1930’s.
The Jewish Archives of Vancouver and the Vancouver Public Library have Leonard Frank images.
The fonds consists of Leonard Frank’s photographs.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Series description is available.
Series: Photographs. - - 1920-1937. - - 43 photographs.
The series consists of black and white photographs of the Powell River Company mill and the surrounding areas. Include images of paper machines, wharf, the yacht Norsal, St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, St. John’s Union Church, Avenue Lodge, houses along Ocean View ( now known as Marine Ave ), Powell Lake, the Mill log pond, Stillwater surge tower, penstocks and generating room, rolls of paper, St. Luke’s Hospital, BonTon Apartments, Rodmay Hotel, Central Building, Oak Street, Henderson School, Valentine Mountain, Wildwood Bridge among others.
Title based on contents of seriesi.
Accession numbers: 1988.47, 1989.7, 1993.240, 1995.27, 2000.14, 2002.5, 2003.4, 2011.74
Fonds number 145