Lew Griffiths fond - - 1929. - - 1cm of textual records
Lew Griffith ( ? 1904 - ) moved to Powell River, in 1921, with his wife Josie ( ? - ? ) and his two children Yvonne and Bill to work on the Powell River Company’s Number five paper machine. He was very active in the sporting community. In 1929 he was part of the group of Westview residents who formed the Squatter Creek Water Users Association and he eventually wrote a story about how the Squatter Creek Dam was built. About the start of World War 11 Tommy Green, publisher and owner of the Powell River News, asked Griffith to do a story about the last lacrosse game and eventually he because the New’s Sport Editor. In 1944 he moved to Wells, B.C. to take over the Wells Chronicle. The whole family was involved in this enterprise. They moved to Quesnel in 1948 and purchased and published the Cariboo Observer.
The fonds consists of a story written by Griffiths.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Series description available.
Series: Manuscript. - - 1cm - - 1929. - - Textual records.
The series consists of an eight page story, written by Lew Griffiths, about how the Squatter Creek Water Users Association built the Squatter Creek Dam. The dam was in the vicinity of Joyce Ave and Courtney Street in Westview. Built by hand they also installed a hydraulic ram. This system supplied water to homes between Burnaby and Courtenay Streets and from Joyce Ave to the water.
Title based on contents of series.