Bill Martinuk Collection. - - 1940-1950. - - 20 photographs.
Bill Martinuk was born in Powell River and attended the Kelly Creek School in the 1930’s. He was one of three brothers. After leaving school he worked for the McNair Shingle Company and then left to work on Vancouver Island. At one time he worked for Merrill and Ring at Rock Bay. He was a logger for many years and worked on the Queen Charlotte Islands ( now known as Haida Gwaii ) and in the Powell River area.
The collection consists of images from Martinuk’s photograph album which was given to his nephew H. Metz. Mr. Metz than gave the album to the Parksville & District Historical Society. The Parksville & District Historical Society than donated the twenty images to the Powell River Historical Museum.
Title based on contents of collection.
The collection consists of some of the photographic holdings of Mr. Martinuk.
Series description available.
The series consists of twenty black and white photographs of logging operations on Vancouver Island and in the Powell River area. Included are images of the O’Brien Logging camp on Lois Lake ( formerly known as the Gordon Pasha Lake ), Franklin River camp on Vancouver Island and M.R.W. logging company which is possibly the Merrill Ring Wilson camp at Rock Bay or Duncan Bay on Vancouver Island.