Powell River Public Library Association,:--1918-1977 - - 30.5cm of textual records.

The Powell River Public Library Association, popularly known as the Townsite Library, was originally a Powell River Company subscription library with Mr. Fred Quayle being appointed to run it in 1914. It appears that it was housed in the second school which was later the first Anglican Church on Sycamore St. Mrs. Millar was appointed Librarian in 1922. The library moved to the just built Dwight Hall in 1927. Mrs. Shirley became the next librarian in 1949 and Mrs. Berry followed. With the amalgamation of the four Villages in 1955 the Powell River Company turned the Library over to the Municipality in 1957. New patterns of library use emerged and in 1973 the Townsite Library became part of the Powell River District Public Library Association. The library closed it's doors in the Townsite in 1983.

The fonds consists of records of the Powell River Public Library Association. Includes correspondence, financial record, reports and ephemera.

Title based on contents of fonds.

Series description available.

Series description:

1. Correspondence: -- 1960 - 1973 - - 4cm of textual records.

The series consists of correspondence.

Title based on contents of series.

  • Financial : -- 1963 – 1973 - - 22cm of textual records.

The series consists of a financial records.

Title based on contents of series.

  • Reports: -- 1970 -- .5cm of textual records.

The series consists of a summary of the year’s events.

Title based on contents of series

  • Ephmera – 1918 – 1977 - - 4cm of textual records.

The series consists of The History of the World signed out in 1918, a borrowers library card in 1954 and a guest book.

Title based on contents of series.